Monday, December 8, 2008

My Work

One of the reasons I am in Canada is for my work, so I thought that I might just mention a little bit about what I do.

I work for a company called MinVu - who is the market leader for production reporting in the mining industry. My official title is a Senior Consultant, but what that really means is that I am a Jack of All Trades.

At the moment I am working with Ekati Diamonds in northern Canada (I am writing this from Vancouver airport on my way up there now), helping to streamline their data reporting and processes (stopping data being stored in spreadsheets, automating reports etc.) So this and previous MinVu work has got me wearing a lot of different hats - I am part Business/Data/Reporting Analyst, Requirements gathering and analysis, SQL Server Database Administrator, SQL Programmer, Excel VBA Programmer, C# Programmer, Application Support, Technical Writer, plus a number of various MinVu specific tasks (configuration of modules, collating data, setting up meetings and organising current and future work etc. etc.).

My biggest concern is that because MinVu is a niche product in a niche area, if/when I ever decide to move on I won't be able to because I don't have enough experience in any one area. Or I could but not for the same pay that I am getting now.

I love the Data Analyst side of things, and there seem to be an increasing number of jobs in this area so maybe that's where I will end up - but at the end of the day I believe that God looks after me and He will put me where I can do the most for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment